Saturday 8 October 2016

2016 - Tesco's Finest - All Butter Pastry Deep Filled Mince Pies

Next up we have Tesco's finest*. It hasn't always been the finest in the strict definition of the word - I've always wondered where the asterisk next to the finest links to... but I digress. Lets see where this years' entry fit in.

Presentation - 4 / 10



I can't say that I'm that impressed. In a way I feel like Tesco has taken my mince pie on a wooden table idea, thrown in a couple of half stars and stuck it on the same box as last year. Don't think its the same box? Have a look last year's review here. Either way, its not very festive.

As the for pies themselves, they are exactly the same as last year. Right down the pattern on the top. They only really score because they still have guts to let you see what you're getting through the window on the top of the box.




Nutritional Content & Price - 4 / 10

At £2 a box these are entering the upper echelons of the mince pie world.

These are almost identical to last year's mince pies, 10.9g of fat, 16.8g of sugar and 260 calories - all 0.1g or 1 calorie more than last year.... I see where this is going...





 
Pastry - 19 / 35


Seriously? This is exactly the same as last year. No change. Not a sausage. Highly disappointing, so I'll just summarise...
Loads of pastry and butter
Evenly baked
Stodgy
Slightly too sweet.


Mincemeat - 20 / 35

Why do I bother, like last year they are under-filled but zesty. However this year, I taste more congnac. Maybe that's why it is now a calorie more?


Overall Satisfaction - 1 / 10

Its begun, another mince pie maker putting no real interest into improving their mince pies. I'm only satisfied because I'm eating a mince pie. Did I enjoy it? Not as much as if Tesco had put any effort into improving it.


OVERALL SCORE - 48 / 100

See where this mince pie sit on our leader board here.

(Don't forget to share this review and follow us on twitter @TheMincePieBlog and on Facebook to ensure you don't miss out on new reviews.)

No comments:

Post a Comment